In the event of Fire
- Leave the house immediately.
- Only try to fight the fire with the blanket and extinguisher if it is safe to do so.
- If you are trapped, close the door and seal it with wet towel to keep out of the smoke. Lie on the floor to find smoke free- air and cover your head with a wet towel to filter the air for breathing.
- Make sure that your burglar proofing bars have a fire escape hatch. If you are o upper floor, buy and fit an escape ladder which can be deployed from the window.
- Communicate by pressing the alarm panic button to summon assistance from the various providers.
- Evacuate immediately. Never put your life at risk.
- Remember Get out, stay out!
- Call the fire brigade out.
The after effects of a fire is devastating and the occurrences of fires should be prevented.
The three main reasons are:
- Moral/humane reasons:The occurrence of a fire event causes pain and stress due to the suffering of relatives and other people involved. Such occurrences should be avoided as much as possible to save everyone from pain and any accompanying agonies.
- Economic reasons: Occurrences of a fires result in financial expenditures and economic losses.
- Loss of life.
By Kenneth Obong’o Oballa
Training Manager, Zep-Re,
(PTA Reinsurance Company).
- << Prev